Tuesday 14 June 2016

PLEASE SEND BACK MY NANNA, MR BAIRD

The Grafton Loop's Nanna Verse-Smith, Dorothy,  was so incensed when she heard about NSW Premier Mike Baird's draconian anti-protester laws, that she rushed into nannerly print.

Please Send Back My Nanna Mr Baird
I miss my Nanna very bad
Mum says she’s gone away
And now I’m feeling very sad,
Hope she’ll come back some day.
I asked my Dad if she was dead
Just like my friend’s old Pop.
Dad just sighed and shook his head
Said, “Go and ask the cop.”
That’s when I knew she’d gone to gaol
And she did it just for me.
Nanna couldn’t pay the bail,
She’s on the pension, see.
But she wants us kids to grow up well
In a land that’s clean and green
Not in a dead polluted hell
Or a poisoned-water scene.
For coalmines spoil the farmers’ land
And coal gas poisons water.
My Nanna doesn’t want to hand
This mess to son or daughter
So, Mr Baird, please listen to a little grandchild’s sorrow
Change back the law today, please do, and let Nan come home tomorrow.

 - Dorothy Hillis